Monday, November 23, 2009

long day...

       I really like the feel of the house with everything opened up.    I would love to keep it this way and I've been considering some options.  In order to make it work I would have to remove the entire roof structure and rebuild it with a steeper pitch and some dormers to make room for an upstairs.  Would it be worth it?  It would be a hell of a lot of extra work, but it would make for a really open and roomy main level. 
       The ceiling joists are 2x6s, 16 inches apart.  To meet code for second story living space I would probably have to remove them and replace with 2x8s or larger.  
I'll need to talk to the building department to find out exactly what they'll require for a second story addition.
It may not be in the cards for this house....we'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment